Pinawa Generating Station
Pinawa Generating Station was the first hydraulic plant on the Winnipeg River and first to operate all year long under extreme cold weather and icing conditions. The station was a Winnipeg Electric Railway Co. development. Pinawa operated with a head of 14 m. Pinawa Generating Station was retired from service in 1951.
Construction of the station was between 1902 and 1906. When first commissioned the station had 6 units with a total capacity of 8 MW. In 1907 units 7, 8, 9 were added which raised the capacity to 14 MW. In 1912 the capacity was re-rated to 22 MW.
Procurement, construction, and commissioning had a lot of local involvement. A railway and a town were built for the construction. Design engineering was provided by an engineer from New York.